Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Recovery update

I got a report that Ian is doing better today. Unfortunately, I am unable to be with him because I am taking classes in another city. My mom has been kind enough to take care of him during the day. Today he ate 2 containers of bananas and drank 8 ounces of formula while my mom was there (7am-6pm). I know this doesn't sound like much, but it is an improvement. I was stayed home yesterday and he was barely drinking anything. He preferred to drink from a big boy cup, which required less sucking. By last night he was drinking some from his bottle. He woke up a few times to eat maybe an ounce or two and take some pain meds. We are still using the Haberman. However, he does better with the older nipples that have been worn in. We got some new ones when we were at the hospital, but they require him to suck more than he's willing right now. All in all, he's doing better, but not where he needs to be to make us all feel better. He's a pretty small little guy as it is and I hate to see him lose any weight.

Thank you for your support thus far. Please keep Ian and his caregivers in your prayers. He's still in a lot of pain, and is trying to adjust to his new palate. He's also had to give up his passie in the process, which makes it even more difficult to soothe him.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Oh, it breaks my heart to hear about Ian in pain. I am NOT looking forward to the palate surgery. Or any surgery for that matter! Glad he's eating a little more, even if he's not back to normal. Sorry that you have to be in class - I'm sure your head's not in it right now!

The Ski's said...

Ahhh, Mary, I am sorry things are tough right now. I am sure it is extremely hard being away from him during this time...but thank goodness for grandma, huh? I am so thankful for my parents and in laws as well. We would be lost without them for sure! Please know that we are keeping you all in thought and prayer...and will continue to do so. This makes me nervous for Reid's palate surgery. I find it interesting that you are still able to use the bottle...our p/s won't allow that. So, I am stressed about getting Reid totally off of it. Is Ian in arm restraints, too? Is he able to sleep with them? I know you have many more things to do than answer my questions right now.....so NO pressure to get back to me! Just curious how this will work for us. I am heading back to work after a year of absence...and am STRESSED about this. I am planning 2 weeks off for palate surgery, and hope that will be enough. Ok....enough rambling....just know we are thinking about you ALL. Prayers and hugs sent your way....