Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Yummy treats

As you know, Ian has been working on learning to chew. He has made great strides, but still seems to be hesitant. He and I have been cooking new things for him to try. I cannot take credit for the recipes, but will recommend them. I have been using recipes from Deceptively Delicious and this website, http://weelicious.com/. The website has recipes for all ages.

Ian has tried the:
cheese crisps http://weelicious.com/2009/07/06/cheese-crisps/ (This one is super easy & Ian can help!)
chicken nuggets from DD

Next on our list to try:

He's also a big fan of fruit and grain bars from Trader Joe's, as well as their dried peas. I know, sounds not so yummy, but they're pretty tasty. He has also been trying carrots with ranch dressing and celery with peanut butter. He's more into the dip than the veggie, but I'm hoping he'll get brave and give them a try too.

Here is a smoothie recipe that we both like, again this one I cannot take credit for:
The measurements are only an estimation. I kind of add as needed to get a good consistency.
1 cup V8 Splash Berry Blend
1/4 cup frozen mixed fruit, like mango and pineapple
a few frozen blueberries
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
1/4 cup ice

Trader Joe's fruit and grain bar for breakfast

Kiwi smoothie, chicken nuggets and cheese crisps for lunch...


...and some dried peas.
Of course there has to be dessert: a vanilla Chick-fil-a milkshake!

2 comments:

Krissy said...

Sounds like you're doing great with coming up with new things for Ian to try. I feel like I am getting in a rut with Drew and that he has the same things all the time. He isn't too good with chewing either so I haven't tried giving him steak, porkchop or anything like that!! Chicken nugs and fish sticks are a good substitute for him though when we are having things he can't eat! And I agree that dipping sauce (or "dip it" as we call it) can make all the difference!!

Kati said...

I hope this doesn't sound creapy, but I think your little boy is so beautiful, he reminds me of my little boy that has a bil. cleft lip and palate. He also had eating problems, he lived on mashed potatoes for months and we slowly made them thicker and chunkier for him. I swear that did the trick and put him on the right path for eating solid food. Your doing great!